Sunday 3 April 2011

The Hindu squat

Hi all, I've posted this today to explain an exercise known as the Hindu squat. The Hindu squat is an excellent leg exercise that I do in my leg workouts. It is harder then an ordinary squat in 2 ways.

1) you get as low as possible. seriously, try and touch the floor with your ass.

2) It has a different breathing pattern. in normal squats, and most exercises, you breath in on the way down and out on the way up. in Hindu squats, you breath out on the way down and in on the way up, increasing muscle contraction. Here's a video on how to complete with proper form.

Despite being harder then a regular squat, Hindu squats are surprisingly easy to get high reps on. Even tho it kills like a mofo after 40-50 you find you can carry on regardless. My friend once said he did 250 Hindu squats in a row, which was his maximum, and I, aching badly after doing 50, didn't believe him. So I counted my maximum and actually got to 187. And that's after doing Hindu squats for a week. Imagine how many we could do after months of training Hindu squats!

One man who really brought this bodyweight exercise to elite sportsman is a wrestler called Karl Gotch. He was known for only doing bodyweight exercises. Despite not being the best way to train, he was incredibly successful, showing the world the importance of bodyweight exercises. I personally, as well as nearly all of the champions in most kinds of sports realise that you cannot be the best with just bodyweight exercises, but there are really essential. Karl himself was famed for once doing 9001 straight Hindu squats, with no rest, and it took him 4 and a half hours. He did 4000 Hindu squats a day. He was a monster. Look him up.

I posted this because i think Hindu squats are the best squat you can do for leg strength and power. I really think, if you don't already do them, you should incorporate them in you workout. It's also incredibly satisfying getting high reps on a bodyweight exercise.

As always, have a nice train!
BYE

1 comment:

  1. call me on 07779402991 to talk about the possibility of training. CrossFit Hove.

    ReplyDelete